Sunday, December 12, 2010

Stones


My poor pitiful old lady puppy is having issues again. It all started when she started peeing uncontrollably around the house. She used to be able to go out twice a day and that was it. Now we were taking her out about once and hour and she was still having accidents. At first I thought it was because of the move and living with the puppy now, but after a while it was just getting ridiculous. Finally I took her into the vet to see if she had an infection. Sure enough, she did, so we got some medication for that. She was still having quite a few accidents, so I decided we'd try out some doggie diapers on her until the medicine kicked in. That helped a little to avoid such large messes. One of the first times I took off the diaper to clean it though I noticed a stone in it. I was super confused and tried to convince myself that it was already in there or just fell in there somehow. Then I decided to google it and see what the possibility of Tara having kidney stones or something was. Turns out she was having all of the symptoms. Monday morning I called the vet to ask them about it, and they said she should come in as soon as possible. Ryan was able to take her in during the day and they took some x-rays to find about a fist full of little stones in her bladder...ewwwwie. It's definitely a good thing we found them though before they turned into anything more dangerous like a bursting bladder! Over the next couple of days Tara was still peeing out stones which I'm sure was rather painful for her. We now have her on a canned food diet and several medications which seem to be helping so far. We're still taking her out as often as possible, but she's not having nearly as many accidents. Hopefully she'll be fully recovered by Christmas so we can leave her with a friend without feeling bad for them with her peeing everywhere!

No comments: