Monday, April 16, 2012

Ouchie!

Just a few days after blogging about how excited I was about my running progress, all that got thrown out the window. I was just about to sign up for a half marathon at the beginning of May, then a week ago on an 11 mile run which I finished with a great pace, I strained my Achilles :( At first I thought maybe I was just sore from my run which would be totally understandable, so I rested for a few days. Then I tried running again and quickly realized it was not just a sore muscle. Ever since then it's been painful just walking or standing around. I went to the doctor this morning and he said absolutely no running for at least 3 more weeks...ugh! Good thing I hadn't signed up for that half marathon yet. It's so frustrating not being able to run now and I feel like I'm going to have to start my training all over again when I am able to run again...phooey!

In the mean time, we have had several great weekends here in Seattle and therefore have gotten a lot of fun yard work done! Yay for home ownership! Ryan mowed the lawn a few times. It's not a huge lawn so we just got a little push mower which seems to be doing the job quite nicely. We've also put down some more seed to try to grow more grass in some of the patchy areas. We're still trying to determine what kind of plants are already on the site, but have determined for the most part there's not much worth saving. We planted several edible things like blueberries, strawberries, oregano, mint, basil, cilantro, spinach, and arugula. We'll see if we can get any good harvests from any of them this year! My rhubarb is almost ready for it's first harvest!

We also added a little more color to our yard with some new flowers. I can't wait to see them all grow over the next few months and get even more full and vibrant! Our other yard project at the moment is tearing out the giant juniper bush in the front yard. It's huge and useless and breaks up the yard a lot which is no good when your yard is already so small! Unfortunately this guy has been here for a long time and has intertwined itself and has crazy roots so it's being a huge pain to remove, but we've made lots of progress!! I can't wait to turn it all into one continuous lawn. 

1 comment:

Dave said...

Your house is becoming your home.
Great job!
-Dad