Monday, September 22, 2014

Butt Burner Weekend

Soooo...On Saturday I competed in my first Crossfit competition...eak! I decided to sign up for this event for a few reasons. First, it was being run by a couple of our really good friends. Second, it was a running event...5k with crossfit movements after each 800m. And finally, I definitely waited until the actually workout movements were announced to find out if they were all movement I could do pretty comfortably and a weight I could handle. We also had a huge turnout of competitors from our gym, a lot who were also first time competitors, so that was super fun!
All the people from our gym!
So the workout was...Run 800m, then do 50 deadlifts @ 65# (not a heavy weight, but a lot of deadlifts), Run 800m, then do 30 box jumps on a 20 inch box, Run 800m, then do 10 'Curtis P's' (squat clean, 2 lunges, and a push press...google it if you're really interested), Run 800m, then do 15 burpee box jump overs, Run 800m, then do 20 squat clean thrusters, then finish with a final 800m run! Whew!
Doing Curtis P's
Box Jumps!
It took me just over 34 min to finish the whole thing. I think I finished right around the middle of the group of competitors, so I'm feeling pretty good about that! It was a lot of fun and I like that it was much more about endurance than super heavy weights. Needless to say, that was a lot of work on my legs and booty...hence the blog title...I'm definitely feeling it in the glutes today! 
Running...I can handle that!
So the huge downside to the awesome competition is that I got terribly sick after it. I think the main issue was that I didn't eat properly before the event. We were actually helping out at the event. I was thinking I'd grab a snack when I got there at 730 since I didn't compete until 9:15. Unfortunately I was put straight to work checking people in for the 8:30 heat. After check in, I was pulled off of that to be a judge for the 8:30 heat. By the time that was done I had a whole 5 minutes to get ready for my heat! I tried to get some food right after my event and drank plenty of water, but I started getting a terrible headache and bad nausea which got worse as the day went on...and of course we were both working the rest of the heats too, so I didn't really get to recover. Anyway, we ended up having to miss the after competition BBQ and hurry home so I could sleep it off. Next year I'll be better prepared and I'll definitely compete in this one again!!
Special group of people
So after all that we decided it would be an awesome idea to climb a mountain on Sunday. Talk about another butt burner! We hiked up Bandera mountain. It was a super short drive from Seattle, so that's why we chose it. It was about 5 miles up the mountain. The first few miles were pretty easy, but once we got towards the top, we were definitely scrambling up it (as in using hand and feet to crawl up). Even ben was exhausted from it and kept stopping to lay in the shade. It didn't help that it was 80+ degrees and we were on the sun facing slope with very few trees to block the sun.



It was super pretty from the top though, so we hung out there for a few minutes to rest and eat a snack. On the way back down we took a little detour to a nearby lake to cool off. It was an alpine lake though...so it was freeeeezing!

Definitely a good workout of a weekend!

1 comment:

Emily @ EAKaHouse said...

Go you! I would have been passed out on the sidelines.