Monday, March 30, 2015

Crossfit Open

We've been pretty busy lately without anything big to blog about. Most of our weekend have been consumed with housework and the Crossfit Open. For the last 5 weeks, Crossfit HQ has released a workout every Thursday that thousands of people from all over the world complete and log their scores to see how they stack up against everyone else. Ryan has competed in this once before, but this was the first year that I signed up for it. This was also the first year that they released scaled versions of each workout as well. They did that so that more people could have the ability to participate in the event at all different levels, however, this also meant that the prescribed (non scaled) workout was even tougher than usual. I really wanted to be able to complete all of the workouts as prescribed, mostly to give myself a benchmark to work off of in the future. Surprisingly I was able to do all but one of the workouts at the Rx level! I was pretty excited about that, especially since a couple of them forced me to learn movements I didn't even know I could do (handstand pushups)!
The final workout was rowing and thrusters...this was my first attempt at it...I did it again two days later for a faster time.
In order to do a full handstand pushup I had to learn how to kip (throw my legs up to help push mu body up)
Yay, I can now do handstand pushups! (this was attempt 2 at the work out...I got 3 more handstand pushups than I did the first time...those are a beast!
I certainly didn't have any high hopes of winning anything, but it was really cool to be able to see where I was at amongst my peers and have new goals of getting better and stronger in the future!

Ryan also did awesome...but we already knew he was strong ;)

No comments: