Monday, March 1, 2010

My Winter Olympics

I just spent a fabulous week in cold and snowy Big Sky, Montana enjoying all the winter sports we could get our little hands on! The trip came about when Ryan's cousin invited us to join a group of his friends at one of their family's mountain cabins. I'm so glad we jumped on that opportunity because it ended up being an amazing time with a great group of people!
[view from our cabin]
We started out with a day of snowboarding/skiing. The slopes were perfectly groomed and not packed at all, which made for ideal snowboarding. I was a little nervous at first dealing with my broken wrist still in a cast. I was hoping to have it off by the trip, but the doctor took some more x-rays the day before we left and decided that I needed to keep it in the cast for another 3 weeks (goodie). It turned out to be just fine though and actually just acted like a wrist guard on steroids so nothing else could happen to it. Somehow I still managed to impair myself at the end of the first day by knocking the wind out of me and hitting my head pretty hard (I think I even chipped a tooth a little bit...oops). I managed to snowboard back to the cabin and decided to take it easy for a few hours till I stopped feeling dizzy. At least I didn't break anything else!
[getting ready to snowboard]
[bottom of the slopes]
The next day we went at it again. I was definitely sore from the day before so it was a little rough. To give ourselves a little break from the slopes, we spent a day snowmobiling. It was AMAZING! Most of the couples just got one snowmobile and rode together. I'm really glad I didn't do the same! It was so much fun driving my own! In the open spaces we were able to really play around on them, getting up to 70+ mph and bouncing over all the little hills in the snow! The path we rode took us to the top of a couple of peaks which gave us beautiful 360 views of the surrounding mountains all covered with a blanket of snow. There was also a pretty good amount of open space at the top to play around in, so we took our time to enjoy the destination.
[top of the mountain]
[amazing views!]
[pretty snow everywhere!]
[more snowy mountains]
We also took a day off the slopes to spend snowshoeing. There was actually a little path in between two ski runs that lead us up the mountain. It was more fun, however, to wander off the path and play around in the fresh snow. Our little path lead us up to a big open slope that had, again, great views of the surrounding mountains and beautiful white snow all around to play in! We had packed a lunch, so we took this opportunity to take a break and have a little lunch while enjoying our surroundings. It was great exercise and a fun little adventure!
[us and our goofy snow shoes]
[trekking up the hill]
[lunch break on the slopes]
[enjoying lunch and the view]
[hiking back down]
The last full day that we had in Montana, Ryan and his cousin got in the last little bit of snowboarding, and his cousin's girlfriend and I decided to do a little more snowshoeing. It was starting to get a little more snowy and blustery but it was a really nice hike. We all ended up at the ski lodge with a few drinks to cozy up after the chilly day.
[Me, Ryan, Daniel, and Lesley]
After all that fun we headed back to finish off the week in Seattle. It was a lot of fun to play around in the snow all week. Hopefully we'll still get some more good snow in Washington so we can finish off the snowboarding season strong!

No comments: