Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Adopt-A-20K

So I've somehow gotten myself put in charge of a fundraising event in Seattle. To be honest I was a little hesitant to get involved, mostly because we've been crazy busy lately. In the end, it's a great cause and I got roped in ;) I participated in the Rural Studio program at Auburn University for almost 2 years worth of my time there. It is an amazing program as a student, and an even more amazing program for the people in that community. If you're in Seattle and interested in coming out to the event, please do! See the invite info below. If you're not in Seattle (or you can't make it out) but would still be interested in donating, please check out www.supportruralstudio.com to donate and select Seattle as your donating city!
 
All donations will be going towards building $20K houses. A team of students is given the challenge of designing a house that can be built for $20K (including materials and labor). So far 12 of these houses have been designed and built. Each prototype (besides providing a home for someone in need) serves as an example to the community that they can build a new home from the ground up instead of purchasing a trailor which would only depreciate in value.
 

 
Here's an example of one of the amazing $20K houses. This one is the only one that is 2 stories. This one is also extra special because my handsome husband was on the team of students to designed and built it!

No comments: