Wednesday, February 18, 2009

CNO

Part of my job right now is that about once a month I have to stand a 24 hour watch in which I pretty much just answer a phone when people call in to report incidents around the base or emergencies or things like that and then I would make sure the correct people are notified and that the situation is taken care of. I have been working on becoming certified to do this, and last Friday and this yesterday (Tuesday) I did a follow along watch standing to get familiarized on my duties. Nothing terribly exciting happened while I was training, just a few calls about minor fires or injuries. But last night, I got to meet a Naval celebrity shall we say. The CNO (Chief of Naval Operations) came to the base for a visit. He is the highest ranking person in the Navy, and works with the President of the US of A. Part of my watch standing duties involved me making sure that the he, and his entourage, made it to the hotel ok and didn't have any problems checking in. So when he got in last night, we met him at the hotel door and introduced ourselves to him and such and helped them all in. There were all kinds of secret service people around and bomb sniffing dogs walking around. It was pretty amusing. So that was my job excitement last night.
I also got to greet the CNO, his entourage, and a congressman this morning as they came in to have a reception and proceed to a tour of the base and such.

No comments: