Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Good Foods

So this Valentines weekends was full of lots and lots of food, mostly all home cooked. I have recently acquired a couple of new baking cookbook (one about muffins and one about breads) so I've been excitedly trying out several of the new recipes. This weekend, however, involved much more than homemade breads. Saturday night we cooked up some giant Alaskan king crab legs that we bought at the pike place market earlier that day. I think this may have been the first time that I have had king crab other than our traditional Dougherty Family Christmas party. They turned out fabulous, and I definitely had a super full tummy after that one! I had also tried out a recipe from my new bread book for some onion focaccia. That took a little longer than I had anticipated to prepare, so it didn't end up being ready until after supper. Sunday night was fajita night, and I also tried out another bread recipe for cinnamon rolls which turned out quite nicely. Monday (which I had off for President's Day) I made a chicken pot pie, which was also my first attempt at making homemade pie crust. It all turned out lovely, although I didn't have quite enough dough to make a full lattice top for it. Oh well, next time. That night, I also consulted my muffin cookbook again, and made some chocolate chip muffins in my little heart shaped silicon muffin molds. The color and shape makes the baking experience just that much more exciting.

No comments: