
The rest of the week we just enjoyed being in Columbus (it was not as hot as I was expecting, thank goodness) and hanging out with the family. We went down to the river walk, went on a tour of an old historic town, visited the new infantry museum at Fort Benning, went golfing a couple of times, swimming, movie-ing, shopping...
The main reason that we had planned the trip to begin with was actually for a wedding the second weekend that we were there. One of Ryan's good friends from high school was getting married, and he was one of the groomsmen (and a very handsome one at that!) Friday night was the rehearsal dinner, which seemed like almost a bigger deal than the wedding. It was in the saloon of a historic theater (that is supposedly haunted...ooooooooh). I think about half of the people that were at the dinner gave a speech/toast to the couple. It was a lot of fun and pretty amusing as well even though I don't know the couple all that well. Saturday was the wedding. Ryan had to be there about 3 hours early, so i just dropped him off and went to get my nails did :) The wedding itself was pretty small. After pictures and such we headed over to the country club for the reception which was mostly just desserts and drinks with the groom's dad's band playing music. It was a lot of fun, and I got to meet a lot of Columbus folks.
On Sunday, we had a few hours to hang out with the family before heading back to the airport. Ryan's younger brother and his girlfriend had come in from Athens, GA and were taking off that morning too.
A great vacation ended with a less than perfect trip at the airport. Our flight was originally delayed about an hour while we waited at the gate. That was probably a good thing since it gave us time to grab some food and such. Then we got on the plane and headed down the runway only to get behind a line of about 20 planes and then were forced to wait on the plane for about 2 hours before we could take off due to weather issues. This whole time we were sitting in the middle of a thunderstorm with winds shaking the plane back and forth. Apparently the bigger problem was actually out west on our route, so we were rerouted to a northern route that would make the flight a little longer too. Finally we took off and had a relatively painless flight. I don't think I want to take Air Tran anymore though because even in a 5 hour flight, they didn't have any movies or anything like that. I might have to suck it up and pay a few extra bucks next time for a nicer airline. Once we finally got to Seattle (about midnight pacific time) we went to go pick up Ryan's golf clubs from the baggage claim only to find out that they weren't there. We waited for a long time then filled out a report. By that time we had no patience for taking public transportation and just took a taxi home, to get home at about 2am. Obviously I wasn't able to pick up Tara that night like I had planned, so I had to do that Monday morning and just get into work a lot later than I had planned.
It was still an awesome vacation; I wish we didn't have to end it! Lessons have been learned about which airlines to choose for next time.
1 comment:
Pamela, thanks for chronicling your life for us. We always enjoy reading your posts. Love, Dad.
Post a Comment