
This weekend was the first 'Rock'n'Roll' Marathon and Half Marathon in Seattle. There are several other 'Rock'n'Roll' Marathons around the country, but this was the first time that Seattle had hosted one. So, I had to give it a try. It was a really early morning, and we had to take a shuttle down to the starting line. The race started about 13 miles south of Seattle in Tukwila, and the race was just running back to Seattle, ending in Qwest Field. There was a shuttle stop just a few blocks from the apartment, so I headed down to it at about 5am. There was already a pretty good line backed up to get on the shuttle. I finally got on one at about 5:45. The shuttles were supposed to stop running at 6, but there were about a thousand people waiting behind me by the time I was on a shuttle that I'm pretty sure they kept running past 6. Even once we got on the shuttle, it took a long time to get to the start line. We ended up getting there at about 6:30, and the race was set to start at 7. So I kept wondering if the rest of those people waiting in line behind me for the shuttle actually made it on time. Anywho...the point of the race is that there is a live band every mile the whole way, and a big music festival afterwards. It was an interesting race. I wish I had been a little more prepared and had gotten a little more sleep, but it might be something to look forward to again next year. That evening, there was a concert by Keb Mo free to all the runners. It was pretty good jazz/blues music. It was in an outdoor park, so we brought blankets and food and hung out there for a while.
Tara has a new boyfriend! One of the girls I work with, Sarah, just moved into my house with me. She also has a 1.5 year old golden retriever. She's actually leaving to do an internship in Japan for 3 months, but moved her stuff in and is staying here for a few days before she leaves. Then we'll be roomies when she gets back. Today was the first day that Tara and Rufus hung out by themselves all day. It worked out really well. I think they mostly just ignore each other all day.
Tomorrow Tara is having surgery to amputate her little toe that is apparently infected with cancer. And I thought it was just a broken nail...apparently not! We're leaving for Georgia on Friday, so she's going to have to stay at someone else's house for a little over a week while she's recovering. I hope she gets better fast!!
No comments:
Post a Comment