Monday, June 8, 2009

Dining In


This past Friday, I spent the day on the Naval Submarine Base in Kitsap. We started out the day playing ultimate frisbee with all of the officers from the surrounding bases. Yes...I get paid to play ultimate frisbee... Then we had a little bbq. After that, I snuck off to read my book while other people continued to play sports. I finally finished all of the Twilight books, so I can concentrate on other things!! Really, I was just wasting time until the real reason that I was way over on this other base. That evening we had a 'Dining-In'. It's a formal Navy dinner with lots of silly traditions and a script and such. Attending it was most of the Civil Engineer Corps Officers from my base and the other bases in Washington. We were having it in honor of one of the Captains that is about to retire from the navy. It was really good food and drinks, and we all got to participate in little skits for entertainment and such. It was a long evening. I got out of there after 10, and just made it onto the 1135 ferry to get back to Seattle that evening.

Saturday we were back into the studying fun. One more week until that will hopefully be over with! At least it wasn't quite as nice and sunny out this weekend, so I didn't feel so bad being a hermit and studying. Sunday we had lots of puppy fun! We did the Furry 5k run in Seward Park on Lake Washington. Although we didn't participate with Tara, most of the people running the race had dogs with them, so it was fun to see a couple hundred dogs running around. And it was a little bit of a challenge trying to run around them all. Afterwards we got Tara out of the car to walk around the pet expo. Maybe next time she'll be able to participate. I took her running a couple of times to see if she would be up for it this time, but she didn't even make it a mile, so I figured running 3 would probably not be the best idea. I don't need her to have a heart attack!

No comments: