Sunday, August 23, 2009

Seabee Olympics, Hiking, and 'THE Cupcake'

This weekend started out with a trip to Bangor for the Seabee Olympics. It was basically just a game day and picnic for all the civil engineer corps members in the pacific NW. They had a sawhorse building race, a sledge hammer throwing contest, a wheelbarrow race, a gun assemble/disassemble relay, and a truck pull. Obviously my brut strength helped out a lot. After the activities, we had a little picnic and just hung out for a while. There are a few new people to the bases, so it was good to meet them all, and there's even a new girl at one of the other bases!

Friday night, Ryan and I drove back up to Oak Harbor to spend the weekend there. I had to be there on Sunday to work again. On Saturday, after sleeping in (yay!) we went out to explore the Island and check out one of the nearby national parks (Fort Ebey's Landing). We did a hike up the bluff and circled around to walk back on the beach. It ended up being a really great day, not too hot or cold. 
Sunday, while I was 'working', I took some time to make some more cupcakes! We have a company picnic on Wednesday, so I was planning on taking them to that. I might try to make some more cupcakes later this week too to bring. This time I made the all time greatest cake (chocolate cherry) into cupcakes! This was kind of a trial endeavor as a cupcake. I wasn't sure how well the frosting would work on cupcakes since it's typically just poured over the whole cake. I made them in my silicon cupcake molds, so I left the cupcakes in the mold and poured the frosting in them too. I had to wait for the frosting to cool until I could take them out of the molds. I think next time I would just use a normal muffin tin with wrappers to make the cupcakes. Also, I was slightly disappointed because I fully intended to put some fresh cherries on the top of each cupcake. When I went to the store to get the ingredients, I discovered that cherries are apparently out of season now and there weren't any! I could have sworn I just saw them in the store like a week ago! Anyway, I think they could have been way cute with a little extra decor, and perhaps a snazzy wrapper. Either way, they are a little taste of bite size heaven, and I'm glad I tried them as cupcakes so the next time I make them I'll be sure to make them even better!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 2nd last picture is very nice.From where you took it from .Pls tell me i wanna to go there......


Denis


Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

Unknown said...

Come down south!! They were selling cherries all along the 5 as we drove up to SF this weekend!