Monday, July 26, 2010

Aaron's Last Weekend in Seattle :(

Ryan's little brother, Aaron, has been living in Seattle with Ryan and interning with their firm since the beginning on June. Apparently time has flown by and it is now his last week in Seattle. Since last weekend was his last weekend in the Pacific NW, we decided to get in a few last big things. We left Saturday morning for Portland after dropping of Tara at Leigha and Nino's house for a little sleep over (I think she had lots of fun!) We ended up being joined by one of Aaron's friends (also named Ryan) who had come up to Seattle from Olympia for the Capital Hill Block Party the night before. So the four of us road tripped it down to Portland. One of the things I had wanted to do last time was our first stop this time around. Voodoo Doughnuts. The line wasn't quite as long as the last time we had stopped by, but it was pretty toasty out so that 30 minute wait seemed like a long time. While in line, the founder of the store popped in for some doughnuts and a little photo op with a few people in line. We didn't know until after he left that he was the owner...he kind of just seemed like some wierd random guy who thought it would be cool to get people to take pictures with him...now we know. Once inside the tiny shop, I was a little overwhelmed by the lengthy menu and not knowing what was involved in each menu item. Since the line was so long outside I felt a little rushed to make a selection at the counter. In my haste I ordered a 'butterfingerer'. As one might assume it was a doughnut covered in butterfinger. Ryan and Ryan got the fruit loop doughnut...covered in fruit loops, and Aaron got the signature 'voodoo doughnut' shaped like a little voodoo doll with a jelly filling. It was certainly an amussing experience, however, I'm still not completely convinced that it was worth the wait taste wise. Perhaps a little more research on my options may give me a more educated selection and better experience next time. It's certainly an odd little place.

After our doughnuts we wandered around the waterfront enjoying the Saturday market and festivities at the beer fest and the beautiful weather! We ended up at a bar for a late lunch and a few games of table shuffleboard. Although this was my first time playing on a table as apposed to the full courts, Aaron and I made a winning team both games. VICTORY!

We had dinner plans Saturday night at the Urban Farmer (the awesome place we went last time in Portland) so we decided to head back to the hotel to rest up and freshen up a little bit and of course enjoy the pool after the slew of small children vacated it.  A couple hours later we headed back into town for some delicious food! Once again we were not dissapointed. This place is so cute and the food is amazing! We started out with the cheese plate, which I'm pretty sure I could just have a cheese plate as my meal. There were 4 different cheeses. My favorite was the gouda...mmmmm. I followed this with a plate of scallops...also my favorite! It was so good and I love the presentation. It's definitely a place we can't go every weekend, but it's nice to splurge a little every once in a while, and it's well worth it here!

After our late dinner we headed back to the hotel for some much needed sleep. Sunday we drove back to Seattle, picked up Tara and prepared for our next adventure...a Sounders game! We had a great time at the game and the city in the background was really pretty as the sun was setting. The only problem is we were about 15 minutes late to the game in which time all three goals of the game were scored!! How does that happen?!? My tickets said the game started at 8pm, so we were there a little before 8 and the game had already started! Not fair! Oh well, it was still a lot of fun and a good experience of the Seattle pride in soccer!
I also made some cute little rhubarb tarts this weekend. I think they may have been better than the cupcakes, mostly just because you could taste more of the rhubarb and I love rhubarb!

No comments: