I love a good girls weekend, and this weekend was an awesome one! Since it was a long weekend with MLK day off, we took advantage of that with a little trip to the windy city. That's right, Chicago in the wintertime! I met up with Kimberly and Evelyn at the airport and we taxied it over to the Omni where Liz was already waiting for us. I guess in the back of my mind I was thinking since we had just spent all day traveling from all corners of the country that we would probably just take it easy Friday night. We started out walking over to Giordano's pizza for some famous deep dish stuffed goodness. By the time we got there, the place was already closing, so shortly after finishing our pizza and wine, we were more or less kicked out of the restaurant. By that time Jeannie and Kristen had bussed it into downtown and were ready to hang out too! We got some advice from our concierge and were directed to a little hole in the wall bar, Pippens, just a few blocks away from our hotel. It ended up being (in my opinion) a great choice! Pretty cheap and delicious drinks, a giant iPhone jukebox on the way, some BSB playing, and a great night with some of my favorite girls! I must say, despite all the time changes for everyone, I was quite impressed that we made it till almost 4am that night!
Saturday morning, we started out with breakfast at 'Yolk'. Liz did some research to find some places for breakfast and it was amazing how many ridiculous names there were for breakfast places and just in general how many places specialized in breakfast. Yolk ended up being a super modern diner with a huge breakfast menu. It definitely hit the spot. After the yolk, it was shopping time! I guess that's what happens when you stay on Michigan Ave, you have to hit up the stores! Although there were a million things I would love to have gotten, I ended up with a great pair of blue suede peep toe wedge shoes from Bloomingdales. They proved to be a great purchase later that night. After all of our shopping, we went back to the hotel to get primped up for the night!
We had early reservations at the Signature Room in the John Hancock Building, so we started there with some cocktails and appetizers. It was really awesome being up that high and getting such great views of the city at night. There's even still a lot of lights still on the trees from Christmas...that's my favorite! The girls mentioned that this was my little bachelorette weekend, so they brought me a special little sorbet dessert too :) After our little cocktail hour, we were supposed to have dinner reservations at a sushi place, but decided we weren't quite ready for more food yet so we ended up at the hotel bar which was supposed to have the best martinis in town. I'm not too keen on the martini, but I gave it a try at least. Also while we were having some more drinks, there was a little girl a couple of tables over who was staring at me the whole time. By this time of the night, I got to don the bachelorette viel and sash which this girl thought was fantastic. Halfway through her dinner she he mom came over and said that the little girl went up to her room to get a viel that she had bought for her American Girl Doll, and she wanted to show it to me. It was pretty cute, she was really excited to show her doll off to all of us and even got a picture with me showing off our viels. Before they left, we also gave the little girl an extra little tiara viel that Kimberly had brought as a backup for me. She was pretty phsyched!
After martinis at the hotel, we made our way over a few blocks to another street of bars with the intension of going to a piano bar. Turns out a lot of other people had the same intention, and we had no desire to sit in a line waiting to get in. luckily there were plenty more options right next door! After a little bar hopping we ended up at the Rockit bar for the rest of the night. Good good times!
Somehow we made it back to the hotel with a stop off at CVS for some late night snacking, after which we made quite a little mess of the hotel room with all our chex mix, pop chips, and cheetos, but mmmmm was it good!
Sunday morning we went to another great and witty little breakfast place called 'Eggsperiance' hahaha...that name just made me want to go there. And all the menu items had silly names too. I must say so far I am completely thrilled with Chicago's immense brunching selection. By this time it was time for Kimberly to head back to California, and Jeannie was driving back to Iowa, so the rest of the time was me and my Auburn Girls. Since we're nerdy architects, we walked around the city and checked out a few of the key architectural larndmarks. Every once in a while we had to pop into a building or store for a few minutes to thaw our from the snowy weather. With all the excitement from the weekend we were feeling pretty exhausted, so after all our walking, we decided to sit for a couple hours in a movie theatre and watch 'The King's Speech'. It was soooo good! I hadn't heard much about it since it was an independant film, but we did get an email last week from one of the high up Navy Officers saying that it would be a good movie to watch for anyone in a leadership/figurehead role. Perhaps it was that, but in general it was just a really good movie, so I'm really glad we stopped to rest and watch it.
Continuing on with our relaxing Sunday, we headed back to the hotel room to catch a few minutes of the golden globes red carpet footage. I always enjoy a pretty dress! We had heard that Chicago had some of the best Mexican food in the country (random, I know) so we had a huge craving for some mexican food and margheritas! Unfortunately we did not apparently end up at one of those amazing mexican places, but we did find a dirty little hole in the wall mexican place where we got our fix of food and margheritas in. We spent the rest of the night with some wine and snacks at the hotel room catching up on the golden globe highlights!
Monday morning was John Mach time!! We met up with my highschool buddy, John Mach. It was so great to see him and catch up and try out yet another fabulous breakfast eatery in Chicago. After breakfast we headed back to the hotel and packed up to head out. Liz flew out of Midway, but Evelyn and I treked it over to Ohare, and I was really glad we were both there together since we both got delayed for a couple of hours, so we grabbed some lunch and a little vino to get ready for the long flights. Finally I made it back to Seattle late Monday night, ready to get up bright and early for work the next day. I had such a great weekend, and I can't wait to see even more people and marry my best friend in less than ONE MONTH!!!!!!
Monday morning was John Mach time!! We met up with my highschool buddy, John Mach. It was so great to see him and catch up and try out yet another fabulous breakfast eatery in Chicago. After breakfast we headed back to the hotel and packed up to head out. Liz flew out of Midway, but Evelyn and I treked it over to Ohare, and I was really glad we were both there together since we both got delayed for a couple of hours, so we grabbed some lunch and a little vino to get ready for the long flights. Finally I made it back to Seattle late Monday night, ready to get up bright and early for work the next day. I had such a great weekend, and I can't wait to see even more people and marry my best friend in less than ONE MONTH!!!!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment