Monday, October 31, 2011

Balls...

We weren't too halloweeny this weekend, but more just completely exhausted from working on the house. Maybe next year when we actually have a house we'll do some sweet decorations and dress up for trick or treaters! We did go to a pumpkin carving party on Friday night though. Only a few people actually carved pumpkins though, the rest of us just enjoyed the pumpkin soup and delicious fall cocktails. Sunday night I did get to be a little festive though. I did my first attempt at cake balls! Today we had a fund raiser 'bake sale' at work with 'spooky treats', so I decided to donate some spooky cake balls that look like creepy eyeballs. I think they turned out pretty awesome, although verrrrrrry rich. I started with the chocolate cherry cake recipe (which was super hard to resist just eating as a cake instead of making balls) then mixed it with a chocolate frosting and dipped it in white chocolate coating. I used blue and green M&Ms for the Iris of the eyeball and a red food coloring pen to make the veins...gross but super delish!

Updates on the house: We finished tearing down all the lath and plaster walls so the electrician can finish rewiring the whole thing. This will also allow us to insulate the whole thing which is awesome because I think I would have died in there with no insulation in the winter. I have a feeling it's still going to be pretty chilly. I may be moving the bed next to the fire place if I get desperate!
Another fun surprise for the weekend was a skype date to everyone in San Francisco! Jordan skyped us in on his iPad and brought us into the room singing happy birthday to mom, almost like we were there too. Technology rules!


No comments: